There are plenty of people who often find themselves bored of their regular hair and want it to look a little different, especially when special occasions are around the corner. While many might opt for an interesting haircut, there are those who would consider colouring their hair. If you are someone who is also looking at colouring their hair, you have two options in front of you – you can head to your nearest salon or you can colour your hair yourself.
In this article, we will look at the pros and cons of both – we will talk about why you might want to colour your hair yourself and which are the situation when you would want to visit a salon.
Let’s first take a look at why you might want to colour your hair at home:
- If you are colouring your hair for the first time, doing the same at home would be a good idea, because it would allow you to colour just a small section of your hair. This is a great way to test a colour, before you apply it completely. If in case you do not like that colour, you can just wait for it to wear off, and then try another shade.
- You can pick the colour you want, without someone standing over your shoulder and telling you how you might want to pick out some other colour. This means, if you want a strand of your hair to have purple, you can do that, without anyone telling you otherwise.
- There are plenty of renowned brands these days, which offer hair colours that can be applied with ease. Invest in a few colour applications tools and you will have little else to worry about.
- When you buy a colouring kit for yourself, you will find that you can use it more than once. However, when you go to a salon, they might charge you for an entire box, while they might use only half of it!
- When you choose to colour your hair at home, you are not bound by limitations of time. This means that you can colour your hair, when you have the time. You will not have to be worried about getting to the salon on time and having to sit there, waiting your turn.
- If you have a small child or elderly people you need to tend to, then you are better off colouring your hair at home. You can take the time out, when they are asleep or busy in their own routines, to treat yourself to a new hair colour.
- Finally, you will be able to save a huge amount of money, if you colour your hair at home, because you will not be shelling out to pay for the product, the services and the establishment fees that the salon is bound to add to your bill!
There are a few things that you need to keep in mind, while colouring your hair at home:
- When you are colouring your hair for the first time, it is important that you read the instructions provided with the colouring kit, really carefully. These instructions will guide you on what to do and more importantly, how to do it.
- If possible, pick out a smaller box for your first time, because in case you do not like the colour, you will not have lost a large amount.
- Always do a patch test first – this will allow you to ascertain whether the product will be safe for you or cause an allergy. In the latter case, you should dispose the same off immediately.
- Ensure your hair is clean and ready to be coloured – oil, shampoo and condition your hair at least a day before you apply colour. Once your hair has been coloured, make sure you use a shampoo and conditioner that is meant for coloured hair.
- Colour your hair from the roots, because this will ensure that your natural hair colour will remain hidden for a longer time; that is, till the time of regrowth.
- Hair colours tend to emit a really strong smell, which is why it is important that you keep all the doors and windows of the room open. This will provide better ventilation and eliminate any situations of breathing difficulties.
- If you are planning to colour your hair in a shade that is lighter than your natural hair colour, then you will have to bleach your hair first.
Now let’s see why it would be a good idea to head to your favourite salon to get your hair coloured:
- For starters, there is nothing you will have to do, apart from sitting in a comfortable chair, flipping through a magazine or even sipping a cool beverage. The experts at the salon will ensure that your hair is coloured properly and there are no strays onto your skin.
- Whether you are looking to test a colour or are opting to colour your entire hair, the experts at the salon will be able to handle your requirements. In addition, they will be able to suggest the best colours for yourskin type and complexion.
- Since the people at the salon are trained to do procedures such as these, there are little chances of things going wrong. So you will not have to worry about any spills or stains at your home or cleaning up once you are done.
- There are certain parts of your head that you will not be able to see clearly or reach properly. This is where having someone else to do the work will prove to be beneficial.
- If you are colouring your hair at home and something goes wrong, there is nothing that can be done. However, when you go to a salon and something goes wrong, they will make sure that they rectify it.
- Whether you want to go five shades lighter than your natural hair colour or three shades darker, the people at the salon will know what to do and how to do it best.