All that You Need to Ask while Considering Breast Reduction
If you have struggled with really large breasts, chances are that you have had other problems too. These could range from back pain to bra straps cutting into your skin. At such a time, you would consider every possible method to get back to a life of normalcy and one of the best methods for the same would be to undergo a breast reduction procedure. However, it is important to understand that a breast reduction is not a simple procedure and there are several aspects involved. This is why you need to choose your surgeon with care and make sure that you ask all the essential questions. But chances are that you are not sure what you need to ask – so, we have prepared a list of the most important questions that you need to ask your breast reduction surgeon.
How to choose the right surgeon:
Here are the questions you need to ask your surgeon, before you finalise one.
- Ask about where they have studied, because having a degree from a reputed medical school will certainly help you be at ease.
- You need to make sure that your doctor has all the important certifications and licenses, especially the requisite ones from the national board or society of plastic surgeons.
- It is important that you ask about the surgeon’s experience, because the more surgeries that the doctor has completed successfully, the better chances of your surgery being a success too.
- You can also enquire about the surgeon’s area of speciality, because if the surgeon has a specialisation in breast reduction, you can be sure that you are in safe hands.
- While who conducts your surgery is important, it is just as important to understand where the surgery will be conducted. You need to ask whether the surgery will be conducted at the surgeon’s own clinic or whether they have operating privileges at a reputed hospital.
- If the surgery is being conducted at the doctor’s own clinic, make sure that it is licensed and certified. Ask to look around so that you can make sure that the clinic is equipped for such procedures.
- Most good surgeons will have before and after photos of the surgical procedures that they have conducted and they will be more than willing to show them to you, should you ask for the same.
What to ask for yourself:Now that you have been able to choose the right surgeon for yourself, you will have to ask several questions for yourself and these should include:
- Firstly, ask whether you are a good candidate for a breast reduction surgery. The answer to this would be based on numerous factors, including your physical and mental state and any pre-existing medical conditions.
- Obviously, you are getting such a surgery done for the results, which is why you need to ask your doctor to give you a realistic picture.
- You need to ask about what you need to do to make sure that you are able to see the best results of your surgery.
- It is important to understand the exact procedure of your surgery, which is why you need to ask about the same in detail. Feel free to ask your doctor to describe the entire process, in addition to the specific technique that will be used on you and why it will be the best way.
- Once you have understood the surgical procedure, ask the next obvious set of questions. Enquire about how many days you will have to take off, in order to recover completely. In addition, also ask if you will need any help, especially, immediately after the surgery.
- It is also essential that you ask your doctor about the things that could possibly go wrong. It is crucial that you go into surgery, fully aware of anything and everything that could go wrong.
- After gaining a clear understanding of what could go wrong, you need to ask your surgeon how he or she will handle such a situation, should something go wrong.
- If you have not been pregnant before or are looking at getting pregnant again, it is important that you clarify all the related doubts. Ask whether the surgery will affect your breast feeding ability and whether there will be any hormonal issues which could hamper your chances of getting pregnant. If you do not want to affect your breastfeeding abilities, you should ask the surgeon if you can customize your surgery accordingly.
- Enquire about the options should you not be happy with the results of your surgery.
What to ask before the surgery:Now that you have finalised the surgeon and have clarified all the doubts related to the procedure, you need to make sure that you are truly prepared for the surgery, which will entail yet another set of questions.
- Make sure you are clear about how you will have to take care of your breasts, post-surgery, what medications you will have to take and how to notice things that could possibly indicate trouble.
- Ask about where you will be taken immediately after surgery and roughly how much time it will take for you to be back on your feet.
- Enquire about the bandages and dressings that will be used post-surgery, how and when to change them and whether you will be provided with the same.
- If there are incisions, there are bound to be sutures too, which is why you need to ask about when the stitches will be removed and how you need to take care of them.
- You also need to ask about when you will be able to return to your normal routine, which could include exercise.
- Finally, ask about when and how many times you will have to return for follow up checks.