Got Acne!! Don’t worry, Say No to Acne now…
What is Acne?
Acne is a common skin problem which starts when oil and dead skin cells clog up the pores of your skin. People also call acne as blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, comedones or zits. A comedo, or basic acne lesion, is a hair follicle that has become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Acne is a very common skin problem in teenagers.
What are the different types of acne?
- Blackheads: Blackheads are open at the surface of the skin. They are filled with excess oil and dead skin cells. The black hue of black heads result from the irregular reflection of light coming from clogged hair follicles.
- Whiteheads: Whiteheads are closed at the surface of the skin. Whiteheads occur when oil and skin cells prevent a clogged hair follicle from opening.
- Papules: Papules are inflamed, small red or pink bumps on the skin. Picking or squeezing can make the inflammation worse and may lead to scarring. A large number of papules may indicate the moderate to severe acne.
- Pustules: Pustules are also type of inflamed pimple. They resemble a whitehead with a red ring around the bump. Bump is filled with white or yellow pus. Avoid picking or squeezing pustules. Picking can cause scars or dark spots to develop on the skin.
- Nodules: Nodules are large, inflamed bumps that feel firm to the touch. They develop deep within the skin and are often painful. Nodules should be treated by a dermatologist
What causes Acne?
There are mainly four factors which can cause you acne. These are:
How acne develops?
- Hair follicles are connected to oil glands. These glands secrete an oily substance known as sebum to lubricate your hair and skin.
- When your body produces an excess amount of sebum and dead skin cells, they together form a soft plug, creating an environment where bacteria can thrive. If the clogged pore becomes infected with bacteria, inflammation results.
- The plugged pore causes the follicle wall produce a whitehead. When whitehead is exposed to air, it turns into blackhead. A blackhead may look like dirt stuck in pores. But actually the pore is congested with bacteria and oil, which turns brown when it's exposed to the air.
- When bacteria attacks on the exposed area of your skin, pore become inflamed or infected and produces a bump which is acne.
What are the Natural acne treatments?
Some natural or medicinal plants can be used to treat acne. Herbal medicines are gaining popularity due to their advantages. They are less expensive and exhibit less side effects. Nowadays, medicinal plants are formulated with synthetic compounds for various uses.
- Azadirachta indica (Neem):Neem helps to draw extra oil & toxins from your skin. It helps to balance the skin moisture levels and fights with fungal or bacterial infections causing acne.
- Cannabis sativus (Marijuana): Cannabis contains cannabinoids, which have healing properties and are great source of antioxidants. It exhibits anti-inflammatory properties making it ideal for preventing acne.
- Echinacea angustifolia & purpurea (cone flower/ purple cone flower): It helps to kill acne causing bacteria P.acnes. Echinacea is rich in tannins (works like astringent) and exert shrinking effect on skin cells. It soothes skin by reducing the swelling of skin tissues.
- Eucalyptus globules (Nilgiri/ Blue Gum Tree): Eucalyptus possesses antibacterial action & shows ability to inhibit the action of sebaceous glands. It contains monoterpene (gamma terpinene) which acts on the acne causing bacteria P.acnes and on other broad range of bacteria.
- Allium cepa (Onion): It helps to reduce the inflammation on the skin and discoloration of the scars due to acne.
Coping Acne or pimples with Home Remedies!
Acne is the most common problem which everyone face in daily life. Before going for chemical treatments or procedures, always use home remedies to remove acne or acne scars.
- Oranges: Oranges are the good source of vitamin C. Drink orange juice and don’t throw away the peel! Orange peel is very good for acne.
- Crush or grind the orange peel
- Mix it with water and make a uniform paste
- Apply paste to the face or acne and leave it overnight
- Wash face with normal water in the morning
- Lemon Lemon is the most common ingredient in our home. Fresh lemon can be used to treat several things and acne also. You can use different home remedies with lemon to treat acne/pimple or acne scars.
- Cut lemon in two pieces and rub it on acne affected area and wash with fresh water
- Take lemon juice and mix it with rose water/ groundnut oil and apply it on affected area
- Take fresh lime juice and mix it with boiled milk and apply as face wash
- Cucumber: Cucumber gives a soothing and refreshing effect on your skin. You can treat acne or pimple easily with cucumber. It helps to make your skin feel & look young.
- Crush cucumber into a paste and apply it on the affected area. Leave it for almost 30-40 minutes and wash with fresh water.
- Tomato: Tomato is also a good source of vitamin C. Tomato helps to treat blackheads and cleans or opens the pores. If you have oily skin, then this home remedy for acne is best for you.
- Cut tomato and rub properly on your face for 15 minutes and wash your face
- Garlic: Garlic has healing properties. Allicin in garlic exhibits anti-inflammatory property. Treating acne with garlic is very easy. Garlic is effective in even chronic forms of acne. You can repeat this remedy for 3-4 times.
- Crush it & rub on affected skin. Wash after 15-20 minutes
Other remedies to prevent acne
Take coriander or mint juice and mix it with turmeric powder. Make a firm paste and apply. You can use this paste daily before going to bed
Make juice of raw papaya along with seeds and peel. Apply this on the pimple and swelling
Make a paste of roasted & powdered pomegranate skin and mix it with fresh lime juice
Put 3 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and apply this paste on face before going to bed or leave overnight
How to get rid of pimple or acne overnight?
There are natural methods and products which are the best and the fastest methods to get rid of acne. Always take care of skin, maintain proper hygiene. Following are some methods to treat acne or pimple overnight, naturally;
- Egg white and acne
- Separate the yolk of egg and white portion of egg
- Apply it to your acne before sleeping and leave it overnight
- Wash your face with fresh water and you will notice the dried pimple.
- Potato:Potato is rich in vitamin C. It will help to dry acne and even in acne removing.
- Take a peeled potato and mesh it properly.
- Apply it to your acne and leave for few minutes (you can leave overnight also)
- Wash gently with fresh water
- Apple cider vinegar: It will help to maintain the pH of the skin and kills the bacteria.
- Take raw or organic apple cider vinegar and mix it with water in equal ratio (1:1)
- Take a cotton ball and dip it in the mixture
- Apply on the acne, leave it and wash with water
- Baking sod:a Baking soda is the most powerful agent used to get rid of acne overnight.
- Take a teaspoon full of baking soda and mix few drops of water to make a uniform paste
- Apply it to the acne and sit for 2-3 hours and wash with cold water
- Do not leave paste on acne overnight. Wash it properly and you will see dried acne in morning
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil helps to reduce sebum and opens the blocked pores and kills the acne causing bacteria.
- Take drops of tea tree oil and leave it overnight
- Wash face in the morning and pat dry
Home remedies for acne scars
Sometimes acne or pimples leave marks on the skin which is another cause for concern. You can use home remedies to treat acne scars which effectively removes scar.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil contains natural vitamin E. Fats in the coconut oil helps to maintain skin supple, fights aging and also moisturize the skin. Coconut oil contains recuperating properties and is best for lightening and removal of scars.
- Scoop out a quarter of a teaspoon of coconut oil (if in solid form) or 3-4 drops of oil into the palm of your hand
- Rub mildly on the scar and let it absorb properly.
You can leave it overnight as coconut oil is natural and will increase the health benefits. However, if you don’t want oil on your face for much time, you can wash face with mild face wash.
- Sugar scrub: Sugar scrub also works great to remove scars of acne.
- Take 3 teaspoon full of sugar and 2 teaspoon of olive oil mix it properly.
- Apply it to the affected area and leave for 20 minutes
- Wash with mild soap or face wash
- Use this scrub for at least 4 times a week
- Rose Water and Glycerin
- Mix 2 teaspoons of rose water and 1 teaspoon of glycerin.
- Apply it to the scar and you can also massage in a circular motion.
- Leave it 15 minutes and wash your face.
- Turmeric Powder
- Take 2 tsp of turmeric powder and 2 tsp of milk.
- Mix it well and apply it all over your face or even affected area.
- Leave it for 20 minutes & wash your face.
- Glycerin and lemon juice
- Take 3 teaspoons of lemon juice and add 3 drops of glycerin to it.
- Mix it well and apply and leave it for 1 hour (you can leave it for overnight also)
- Wash your face
How to treat acne with chemical treatments?
- Salicylic Acid:
The only ?-hydroxy acid that is used in dermatological practice. It promotes natural exfoliation, and exerts moderate comedolytic activity (inhibition of acne formation).
- Benzoyl peroxide:
It is an effective topical agent since many years and is available in different formulations (washes, lotions, creams, and gels) and concentrations.
- Glycolic Acid:
It helps in thinning of stratum corneum and promotes epidermolysis (loosening of the epidermis), dispersing basal layer melanin, and increasing collagen synthesis within the dermis.
Dos and Don’ts with Acne:
What are the foods that cause acne?
Diet plays a major role in acne formation. There are several foods that triggers acne. People often think that what foods cause acne! Avoid high glycmein content food. These will rise the insulin levels in the body which will secrete more androgen hormones. This will further lead to oil or sebum production and chances of infections also increases. Your skin will be more prone to acne.
FAQs on AcneWhat are the best acne medications I can use?
Try to choose medications which include Benzoyl peroxide, Salicylic acid. These will help to exfoliate your skin and treat acne. You can go for topicals which includes clindamycin, isotretinoin. Before using consult with doctor if you have any allergy.Does milk causes acne?
Yes. Milk can cause acne as it has tendency to enter our blood stream. This will rise the insulin level or glycemic levels in the body and promotes inflammation or increases oil production which will lead to acne.Does chocolate cause acne?
Chocolate increases the production of inflammatory markers (interleukin-1b) which lowers the body’s defense mechanism against bacterial infection. Our body gets more prone to infections. So higher levels could allow bacteria to form acne or even worsen them.Does stress cause acne?
Stress can’t directly cause acne. Stress can cause weakened immune system which can rise to several infectionsDoes smoking causes acne?
Smoking provokes the important alterations on the skin microcirculation, on keratinocytes and on the collagen and elastin synthesis. These alterations can results in pore opening of your skin and dirt or oil can accumulate in your pores. This may lead to acne formation.