Over the past years, numerous methods of hair transplantation have been introduced, the most preferred being Follicular Unit Extraction or excision. This method is minimally invasive wherein, the grafts are extracted one by one from the donor site by the surgeon. There are no stitches and the operated area appears mostly unchanged within days. Also, the patient can resume back to his regular work in no time. This procedure ensures the graft quality as each grafts is extracted by surgeon himself. There is minimal bleeding and wastage with barely any post-operative discomfort.
- Patients with androgenetic alopecia who do not want linear scars.
- Patients who want to keep their hair very short.
- Patients who require greater number of grafts by combining with body hair.
- Patients who require limited number of grafts in cosmetic areas, for e.g. : Eyebrow reconstruction, eyelash reconstruction, moustache reconstruction
- Hairline reconstruction
- Beard reconstruction
- Scarring alopecia patches due to dermatological conditions.
- Female pattern hair loss
- Non-shaven FUE
- FUT scar reconstruction
- When previous scars of strip surgeries make further strips impossible.
- In patients with keloidal tendencies.
- People who want to resume full activity immediately after the procedure.
- For patients with an inordinate fear of pain or scars.
- When body or beard serves as a donor area.
- Body hair transplantation.
How does it work?
In follicular unit extraction, the surgeon uses a motor punch nowadays of micrometer size to take out an individual hair follicle unit from the safe donor area of the scalp. The motorised punch makes a very superficial incision around the follicular unit and the surgeon controls its depth advancing it to a point where the follicle is made loose and separated from the surrounding dermis and the hair unit with its root is taken out easily.
This method guarantees good quality grafts as it gives the surgeon the leverage to take out each graft under proper magnification.
Steps of Surgery
Preparation & Local Anaesthesia
Hair transplant surgery is done under local anaesthesia unless recommended otherwise. The surgeon may want to give you field and regional anaesthesia blocks which will work only on the area prepared for the surgery. This is the most efficient technique to have virtually painless surgery with rarely any risks related to anaesthesia. The patient is wide awake during the surgery and is totally aware of surroundings. Since, it is a time consuming process
Extraction or Excision
FUE differs from other surgical methods of hair transplant in the way the grafts are extracted. The surgeon takes out each graft under magnification using a 0.6 - 0.9mm punch which are simultaneously removed from the scalp by a trained technician using a forcep. Each extracted graft is then studied by a second technician under magnification and separated according to the total number of hairs per graft. The transected grafts are discarded and are replaced by good grafts from the scalp. The total number of grafts are counted at every step to prevent any wastage.
Recipient site slit-making
The surgeon designs the recipient area according to the patient’s expectations and limitations of the donor area. The surgeon makes the pockets for the extracted grafts depending on the length of the grafts. He also decides the angle at which the hair comes out of the scalp, the direction of the hair and also the density to give the best cosmetic results.
Implantation of grafts
Implantation of grafts is same as other hair transplant methods. It is done by trained staff using forceps or implanters under the surgeon’s supervision. It is a passive step where they place the grafts in the pre-formed pockets. Though many surgeons, especially who work with implanters choose to do stick and place method wherein slits are made along with implantation
Types of FUE Hair Transplant
It is an advanced method of performing FUE where the microsurgical instruments are used for extraction and slit-making under proper magnification. The motorised punch with a diameter less than 0.9mm is used for taking out micrografts which have 1, 2 or 3 hairs along with minimum amount of skin. This technique makes the results aesthetically promising and the scalp heals in 2-3 days.
Undetected/Unshaven FUE is another advanced technique where the hair transplant is performed without cutting the hair in the recipient area. It is most suitable for patients who do not want to cut their hair short, want to keep it discreet and in females as they are not comfortable with the idea of shaving their head. It allows the person to get back to his routine work within 2-3 days. It requires extremely advanced surgeon skill and is generally more expensive than other conventional methods.
It is a patient-oriented customised plan wherein the instruments used for making slits, taking out and placing grafts are chosen according to the patient’s graft length and thickness. It also includes a biotherapy where platelet-rich plasma is obtained from patient’s blood and is used to replenish the transplanted grafts after the surgery. This has scientifically proven to improve graft viability and quality. Hair transplant at AK Clinics is done using our trademarked Bio-FUETM technique which offers excellent results.
Robotic FUE, also known as ARTAS, is a FDA approved robotic hair restoration system where the surgeon-assisted robot is used to remove the grafts from the donor area, design the slits in recipient area according to the thinning areas and then the grafts can be implanted manually or robotically. It is known to have extraction speed of upto 1000 grafts per hour, thus increasing productivity and efficiency. The automated technique helps in preventing any damage to pre-existing hair. It is a costly procedure and still needs to be more standardised.
FUE is a sophisticated procedure with very minimal post-surgical trauma and rarely any side-effects. The post-operative pain and chances of infection are minimal. The general post-operative instructions are same as any hair transplant surgery. However, as compared to other methods the recovery is very fast and the patient can resume to his routine in hardly any days. The bandage in the donor area is removed within 3 days and shampoo of the scalp can be done after 7 days. The scalp looks as good as normal scalp within 10 days of the surgery.
Get a free Assessment Report
Based on the relevant information, we tailor Hair Transplant assessment report for each patient helping him to make an informed decision.
FUE Hair Transplant Advantages
A lot of people are now opting for FUE, as opposed to other forms of hair transplant. Over all these years, It has emerged as the most effective and satisfactory method of having natural looking hair.
- Natural, undetectable results
- Minimally invasive technique
- Virtually painless
- No stitches or linear scars
- Permanent results
- Maximum density possible per session
- High quality graft extraction
- Cherry picking of good grafts possible
- Minimal transection
- Direction of hair can be customised according the individual choices.
- Dense packing of follicle to give maximum density possible
- No damage to pre-existing hair
- Hair can be kept short without any visible linear scars
- Fast recovery with quick healing of donor and recipient area
- Minimal post-operative complications if taken care properly
- Minimal trauma and hardly any risk of infection
- Grafts can be extracted from beard, arms, legs and chest.
- Body hair implantation can be done
- Small cosmetic areas like beard, eyebrow and eyelash can be reconstructed.
Complications of FUE
The side effects are very minimal and are rare as compared to other surgeries. More about side effects of FUE hair transplant
These complications can occur after any surgical procedure and can be managed with proper post-operative care.
- Post-operative pain - Pain killers like paracetamol for 7 days.
- Oozing - Can be stopped by applying firm pressure with a sterile gauze piece for 5 min.
- Numbness - Occurs rarely but resolves within 2-3 months
- Itching - Anti-histamines for 7 days
- Swelling of forehead - Pressure headband around the head along with intermittent forehead massage for 5-7 days can prevent swelling
- Infection - Oral and topical antibiotics for 7 days.
Most of it can be avoided with the right technique of taking out hair from the donor area.
- Pin point white scars - Male pattern (MPB) and female pattern baldness (FAGA)
- Post-surgery shedding - Temporary. Can occur after 6 weeks of surgery and resolves within 3-4 months. More common in females.
- Folliculitis - Temporary. Occurs after 2-3 months. Usually sterile and will subside. Warm compresses and topical antibiotic cream can provide relief. If there is pus, then contact your surgeon who will most likely prescribe a course of antibiotics.
- Overharvesting - Permanent. Thinning or patches of baldness may happen if surgeon goes beyond the safe area or takes out large number of grafts. Can be avoided completely by choosing an experienced and skilled surgeon.
Can be avoided when transplant is done with the right technique.
- Shock loss - Temporary. Can occur after 6 weeks of surgery and resolves within 3-4 months.
- Cobblestoning - Common when needles are used for making slits. Nowadays, cut-to-size blades are used which has reduced the risk to minimal.
- Poor density - It can be both a subjective and objective problem and can happen because of unrealistic expectations, unsatisfying graft distribution and poor graft survival. A good counselling before the surgery can prevent the chances of any difference in opinion. In practice, graft survival rate has been seen upto 90% and it can be minimised if proper post-operative care is taken. It is always advised to start medical treatment as advised by the surgeon for androgenetic alopecia to maintain the already existing hair after the surgery.
- Poor hairline - It is extremely important to discuss the expectations with your surgeon before the surgery and also know the limitations if any. In case it occurs, hairline reconstruction can be opted for after 9 to 12 months from the previous surgery.
FUE Hair Transplant Cost
Since FUE is mostly surgeon-dependent procedure demanding his expertise and skill as compared to strip-surgery, it tends to be more expensive. However, the total cost of the surgery will depend on the total number of grafts that are needed and will be calculated as cost per graft. Know more about hair transplant cost..
Why AK Clinics?
- Hair transplant at AK Clinics is done using our trademarked Bio-FUETM technique which offers excellent results
- We have a team of highly trained surgeons and staff who have practiced skills over time.
- We do detailed hair analysis to understand the proper condition of your hair
- We do proper planning for the surgery regarding distribution of grafts and density.
- Anaesthesia, Slit-making and extraction is done entirely by skilled surgeons.
- Implantation done by in-house trained team members.
- Virtually painless procedure.
- Slits are made with cut-to-size blades according to the customised plan for each patient.
- Extraction done by using ‘AK Flat punches’ – Our customised punches to provide you the best quality grafts.
- Try to keep transection rate < 3%.
- Minimal out-of-body graft duration.
- Counting of grafts at every step of surgery.
- First in- first out technique for implantation.
- Extremely hygienic and state of art operation theatres.
- Biotherapy at the end of surgery over the transplanted grafts.
- Double-spin method in a cryo-centrifuge to prepare the best quality PRP.
- Proper follow-up and post-operative care.
All the above steps help us to ensure the best results for our patients …
I started facing hair loss at the age of 26 but it was not very noticeable. But at 29 the hair loss progressed very quickly and crown almost became empty. And further my hair line receded quickly. Now at the age of 31 I started looking very old. I tried many medicines like homeopathic etc etc but nothing seems to work. Then I started searching for my options and finally decided for a hair transplant.
I can see good results post-transplant. Overall good. As suggested, I may go for further transplant for crown area. I am currently taking 6 months cyclical therapy again to stop hair fall. Then will take the decision accordingly. I can say I would prefer someone for A K Clinic. As it is giving person the way to live more happily..?
"Had a hair transplant at AK Clinics under care of Dr KAPIL DUA. And after treatment it has been 3 month now and I have very much inproved growing hair. He is best surgeon ever seen and very experienced in this art. They also provided very good atmosphere while surgery. With his experience he gave very confident to his patients while surgery. (Hair Transplantation)
"After talking to Dr Kapil I have decided to go for a hair transplant surgery which turned out to be very good. Total of 6000 grafts were transplanted. The density was medium density. The procedure was FUE without any scar. The procedure was by done both Dr Kapil and Dr Aman. I strongly recommend anyone who is looking for a FUE surgery in India."
AK Clinics Hair Transplant Centres in India
- 51-E, Sarabha Nagar, Opp Kipps Market, Ludhiana, Punjab 141001, India
- M-20, Greater Kailash I, Near M Block Market, New Delhi-110048, India
- 1st Floor, 316 The Mayfair, Indiranagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560038, India