Male Breast Reduction Surgery
Enlargement of breast in human male is called Gynecomastia because of feminine type looks of breast. In this physical abnormality and deformed state, breasts bulged and protrude outward. It primarily involves accumulation of glandular tissue, fatty tissue and excessive growth of skin. In medical term it is proliferation of ductal and stromal part of mammary glands. This means breast more often becomes bulky, voluminous, heavy, irregular and distorted. This condition may be unilateral or bilateral. This condition is also known as Man boobs or men breast enlargement. Gynecomastia removal is surgically done with gynecomastia surgery or men breast reduction surgery.
Causes of Gynecomastia
- Low level of androgens or sex hormones such as testosterone, LH
- Drugs such as antibiotics, antidepressants, diuretics
- High level of prolactin, a hormone responsible for producing milk in females,
- Genetically due to klinefelter’s syndrome
- Hypogonadism – small testes/ unable to produce enough hormones
- Hyperthyroidism - It helps in retaining more fluid in body
- High levels of estrogens or female hormones
- Use of anabolic steroids to gain large and bulky muscles, gyming
- Certain narcotics such as marijuana, heroin
- Diet loaded with fat and lipids
- Rare causes – cancer of testis, breast, liver cirrhosis
Types of Gynecomastia
Other Aspects Of Gynecomastia Or Male Breast
Signs & Symptoms
The most important symptom is enlargement of male breast – especially the enlargement of the glandular tissue rather than fatty tissue. The same could be observed on both side or even one side. The same should be diagnosed & treated as early as possible.
The spectrum of gynecomastia severity has been categorized into a grading system:
- Grade I: Minor enlargement, no skin excess
- Grade II: Moderate enlargement, no skin excess
- Grade III: Moderate enlargement, skin excess
- Grade IV: Marked enlargement, skin excess
Gynecomastia is generally not physcially harmful but more devastating psychological consequenses like low self-esteem or shame for sufferers. One must know that weight loss cannot reduce the glandular component so treatment is a must. In rare cases, it could also be indicator of underlying condition like testicular cancer.
Gynecomastia or male breasts are becoming more and more prevalent in all age groups especially Senile gynecomastia is estimated to be present in 24-65% of men between the ages of fifty and eighty. Breast reduction surgeries to correct gynecomastia are becoming increasingly common. There are many approaches to the treatment of the male breasts
Male Breast Reduction Surgery
Our highly qualified plastic surgeons at AK Clinics routinely perform gynecomastia mastectomy or liposuction of patients suffering from this condition. AK Clinics is equipped with ultra modern equipments with all facilities and state-of-art-technology. Moreover our doctors are highly sensitive to your feelings and emotions and ensures you of masculine look through this surgery.
- Non Surgical Treatment – Many people approach endocrinologist for the treatment but in most of the cases the size once increased can only be reduced by a surgery. Further since gynecomastia is hormonal problem so the treatment regime is generally anti hormones which have serious side effects.
- Surgical Treatment – Least Invasive – Gynecomastia Surgery is mostly performed a least invasive method where in the patient sees almost invisible scars. Liposuction is used in conjunction for better results. But in some cases where the size is too big or the boobs are hanging because of the over weight loss, a more invasive method Infra-mammary approach in which incision is given below the breast.
- Surgical Treatment – Conventional method –In the conventional method & most commonly used an incision is made around the areola and entire gland is removed though this incision. This is used when there is no sagging or no excision is required. The nerves and blood vessels are also removed. So this method is getting less and less popular. Though in some cases this needs to chosen invariably.
Before, During & After The Gynecomastia Surgery
Our eminent cosmetic surgeons identify the Gynecomastia through the physical diagnosis of breast that includes its tenderness, hardness, shape, volume and size of abnormal breast. Clinical tests such as hormonal levels, ultrasound diagnoses confirm the exact cause. This could also be related to sexual dysfunction.
Depending upon the type of procedure decided, the surgery is performed under local or general anaesthesia. In most of the cases the surgery is performed on out patient basis which means the discharge normally happens the same day. The procedure takes 2-3 hours in total and is relatively simple with a short recovery period. All the instructions are given to make sure the recovery period is hassle free.
One should not do any exercise involving muscular force post surgery. Our Plastic surgeons at AK Clinics will advise you regarding the exercise that can be done after few weeks of surgery beginning from very light exercises. Medicines should be taken as prescribed and follow up diagnosis and treatment is necessary for the best results.
Cost of Gynaecomastia Surgery
The cost of cosmetic surgery depends upon the individual case. It varies from one patient to another considering the size and volume of enlarged breast and tissues involved.
AK Clinics' Hair & Skin Centres in India
Hair & Skin Clinic in Ludhiana
- 51-E, Sarabha Nagar, Opp Kipps Market, Ludhiana, Punjab 141001, India
Hair & Skin Clinic in Delhi
- M-20, Greater Kailash I, Near M Block Market, New Delhi-110048, India
Hair & Skin Clinic in Bangalore
- 1st Floor, 316 The Mayfair, Indiranagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560038, India