How does laser tattoo removal work?
Black is known to absorb all other colours, but what is interesting to note about this colour can also absorb all laser wavelengths. So, when you are going for laser tattoo removal, black is the easiest colour to remove, which is why, if you have a completely black tattoo, it will be the easiest to remove. However, when there are other colours in the tattoo, certain specific lasers will be required.
The laser tattoo removal procedure is also dependent on several other factors such as the actual size of the tattoo, where the tattoo is placed on the body and how long ago it was made. While your age might not make much a difference, your skin colour will most certainly influence the procedure, because lighter skin reacts differently to laser than darker skin. What kind of laser or energy is to be used on your skin, will be something that the technician will decide, based on your skin type and the colours used in the tattoo.
While smaller tattoos should require lesser time, the larger ones will require not just a substantial amount of time and sessions, but also more laser pulses. And it is important to remember that laser tattoo removal is not the most comfortable of procedures, and while there is not a lot of pain, you will require topical anaesthesia. Once the procedure is over, you will need to treat the area with extreme care. You should cover the area with sunscreen, every time you step out of the house. Also you may experience some tenderness
How much will laser tattoo removal cost?
In general, tattoo removal can take anywhere between three to twelve sessions, which are spaced over weeks. While the removal of a small tattoo can cost around three to four thousand Indian rupees, a larger tattoo could cost anywhere between ten to twenty-five thousand rupees. The cost of the procedure will also be dependent on where you are getting the procedure done, but getting the treatment done from a reputed laser tattoo removal clinic, will have more benefits.
The cost of tattoo removal will be dependent on a range of factors, including:
- What the actual size of the tattoo is – the bigger the tattoo, the more expensive it will get.
- Where the tattoo is located – if the tattoo is placed on a delicate part of the body, the time and effort that needs to be taken will be greater, making the entire process a lot more expensive.
- The age of the tattoo will also matter, because when the tattoo is older, the pigments have already set, making it a lot harder to remove.
- How many colours have been used in the tattoo – while a plain black tattoo will be easier to remove, one with several colours will require specialised laser to target those specific colour pigments.
- What type of ink has been used will also affect the final cost of the procedure, because certain types of inks require stronger laser.
- The tattoo removal cost at AK Clinics in Delhi & Ludhiana starts as low as INR 1500 per session for small tattoo.
What do you need before, during and after a laser tattoo removal procedure?
While there is not much that you need to do before a tattoo removal procedure, there are several things that you will have to do post the procedure. Before the procedure, you might be ask to limit exposure to sunlight and chemical products. The area of the tattoo will be cleaned properly, before the procedure. During the procedure, you will be asked to wear protective eye wear, because the laser could harm your eyes. In addition, a topical anaesthetic will be applied, because even though the procedure is not painful, it can be quite uncomfortable.
For the 24 hours after the laser tattoo removal treatment, you may be asked to apply cold compresses on the treated area to reduce the discomfort. You will be asked to apply medicated ointments for the next few days. The treated area needs to be kept clean and dry, because that will help with the faster healing. There can be some blistering, itching or scabbing, but these all will disappear in a matter of time. If you are on regular medication, you might be asked to avoid some for a few days and if you are in pain, you need to confirm, which painkillers are suitable. You need to provide immense sun protection to the treated area and you need to avoid shaving and tanning lotions till the time the area has completely healed. And finally, you need to drink lots of water.
What are the benefits of laser tattoo removal?
If you had gotten the tattoo on a whim or are feeling that the tattoo is inhibiting your life, then you need to get it removed as soon as possible. And if you are getting your tattoo removed, then laser removal is the best option, because:
- You can remove either the entire tattoo or specific parts of the tattoo, allowing for a change in the design, should you want one. This is actually a popular option with people who get names tattooed on their bodies and then want only those removed.
- Because laser is being used, there is no scarring, which is the not the case with other methods, which using a sanding like technique. The light of the laser targets only the pigments of the colour, leaving the rest of the healthy skin cells alone.
- As there are no nicks and cuts involved in this process, the recovery process is also minimal. All you have to do is keep your skin protected from direct sunlight.
- This is most definitely the safest way to remove tattoos of all colours, because with specific lasers for particular colours, you can remove any type of tattoo. There is little to no chance of infection and all you might have to worry about is a little redness or swelling, which will subside on its own in a few days’ time.