Post Op Instructions after Gynecomastia Surgery/ Breast Reduction Surgery
- Immediately after the surgery, you must call someone to go along with you or even at home after the surgery. Do not drive by yourself.
- Do not take Aspirin or any other blood thinning agents 2 weeks before and after the surgery to minimize the chance of excessive bleeding.
- Take pain medications and antibiotics properly as prescribed by the doctor.
- The fluid may ooze out from the incision sites. A small tube may be temporarily placed under the skin to collect the excessive drainage or you can clean it with the sterilized gauze or maxi pads.
- You may experience numbness, itching or mild crawling feeling at the site of incision. It will resolve itself.
- Bruising after the gynecomastia surgery is very common and it will subside within 1-3 weeks after the surgery.
- There will be dressings or bandages applied to your incisions. Do not remove these bandages on your own.
- You may be given elastic bandage or a support garment to reduce the swelling in the treated area and also to support the new chest contour after the recovery period.
- Avoid sudden movements and physical strain.
- Drink plenty of water and follow the balanced diet.
- Avoid alcohol intake for 1-2 week before and after the surgery.
- Do not pick or scratch the scars.
- Keep the treated area and incisions clean and daily look for any signs of the infection.
- Do not take hot bath tubs or soaking in tubs for 7-10 days.
- After the healing, use the topical/cream to minimize the scars as prescribed by the doctor.
- Do not smoke after the surgery as it slows down the healing process.
- There may be a slight rise in temperature. The doctor may prescribe you an analgesic to lower down the body’s temperature and pain.
- Do not indulge yourself in any sports activities or heavy workouts for 4-5 weeks after the surgery.
- Do not apply any hot or warm compress on the surgically treated area.
- Sleep on your back with slightly bending position towards the waist to minimize the swelling.
If you feel uncomfortable or in case of high fever, foul smelling drainage, excessive pain, thick bloody drainage, severe dizziness while standing position or any kind of pus drainage at the surgery site, call the doctor immediately or visit the clinic.