Single Stage Implant Breast Reconstructions Becoming RealThere was once a time, when cancer was a rare occurrence and the people who were afflicted by it, did not even know in time, how to combat it. Today, however, the truth is a different one and the number of registered cases of cancer is not only staggering but also incredibly scary. For women, it is breast cancer that is the scariest prospect, because there is a possibility that they might lose their breasts, which is an essential part of their physical identity. In most cases, where the cancer is diagnosed in the breast, there is often no option but to undergo mastectomy. However, in the recent few years, there has been a lot of research and studies on how to bring such women back to a life of physical normalcy. One of the positive steps in this direction is breast reconstruction, but in the past, breast reconstruction also has been a long winded process. Now, a growing number of surgeons are looking at one step approaches towards breast reconstruction, as these not only reduce the downtime for the patient, but also the medical costs being incurred. Today, there are several women who are ideal candidates for what is being called as the “one and done” approach or the single stage implant breast reconstruction method.
The main benefits of single stage implant breast reconstruction include:
- Lesser visits to the doctor
- Faster return to a normal life
- Restoration of normal looking breasts
- Proper creation of the areola
Now let’s look at single stage implant breast reconstruction in detail: There are some obvious benefits to choosing implant based reconstruction of breasts and some of the most prominent ones include:
- Lesser time taken for the actual surgery
- The almost non-existence of donor site morbidity
- Faster return to normalcy
The indications for single stage implant breast reconstruction: The process has to start with patient selection, because not everyone will prove to be a worthy enough candidate for the procedure. The overall health of the patient has to be taken into consideration:
- Existing breast size should be small to medium
- The desire should be for a breast size that is similar to the existing size
- Nonexistence of any serious medical conditions
- No pre-existing scars on the breast
- Condition of the skin and the structure as well as texture of the same
The actual procedure of single stage implants breast reconstruction: Initial markings will be made with the patient standing up and the initial incisions will also be decided at this point. The aspects which will decide the location of the incisions will include:
- The inframammary fold
- The relation of the inframammary fold between the two sides
- The lateral borders of the breast
What can be expected from a single stage implant breast reconstruction:
- The chances of skin necrosis are minimal, however, there have been a few cases of the same that have been reported.
- The spaces that are created have to be drained out, or else there is an elevated chance of infection.
- The complication rate is incredibly low