What exactly is SMP?
SMP is a technique by which a series of tiny dots are created all over the scalp,
concentrating on the areas where the hair loss is most visible. A non-toxic ink is used and
the colour will be matched to your exact hair colour, to make the final look natural.
The tiny dots will mimic tiny hair, as if you had a really short cropped hair cut.
This procedure is also a great way to cover scars, which might have been caused by infection
or any trauma or FUT hair transplant. The best part about SMP is that it is a cost effective
method to cover your entire head, offering it a really well groomed look. In addition,
with the services from the best clinic for SMP in Bangalore, you can get treatment,
irrespective of your age, hair or skin colour and type of hair loss.
How does SMP work?
The average number of hair per centimetre square on the scalp is 200, but when you start to lose your hair, your scalp will start becoming visible, a lot faster than you can imagine. Hair loss is a lot more than actually losing hair – it is about losing a sense of confidence in yourself and by a process such as SMP, not only can you gain an illusion of having a full head of hair, you can also gain back a lot of your confidence. One of the biggest advantages of scalp micropigmentation in Bangalore is that you could have diffused thinning or you could have complete bald spots – this procedure can handle both.
Here is how SMP works:
- It can give the illusion of a head full of hair, as if you had a cropped haircut
- It can create the look of a full frontal, side or rear hairline
- It can restore hairlines on partially or fully bald heads
- It can help camouflage all levels of alopecia
- It can help camouflage scars that could have risen because of infection, surgery or trauma or FUT hair transplant
- It can help camouflage scars, birthmarks and burns
- It can help boost the effects of a hair transplant, by creating a fuller look
What is the procedure for revision or reversal?
With time, the ink of the tattoo will start to fade, which is when you will have to return for touch up. In addition, if you have baldness, chances are that new bald spots will keep appearing and you will need to cover those too. However, there are some people who might want a reversal, because with age, they might want a new hairline. The revision could include a changed hairline, changed side hair shape, addition of side burns and so on. Because the pigment being used is on a superficial level, the removal is also much easier, as opposed to a regular tattoo.
How much will SMP cost?
The cost of the scalp micropigmentation procedure will be dependent on a few factors:
- When there have been multiple transplant sessions, but the result is still nowhere near what was desired
- When there is diffused thinning
- When the patient does not want the surgical option
- When the alopecia is extensive such as alopecia universalis or alopecia totalis
- When the alopecia is caused by cancer treatment
- When the patient has genetic alopecia
While no clinic will be able to give you a precise amount right at the beginning, most of the good clinics will give you a fair idea of how much it will cost. The final billing might vary by about 5-10%.
Can SMP be done in tandem with a hair transplant?
There are several cases where a hair transplant is not able to provide the kind of density that the patient was looking for. This could be because of an insufficient donor area or it could be because the recipient area is too large. In such situations, combining a hair transplant with scalp micropigmentation is a great idea, because with this procedure, the desired density can be achieved with ease. And because the hair will already be short cropped post the transplant, the scalp micropigmentation will only look all the more natural, along with it.